Saturday, March 31, 2012

a bag!

I've been avoiding the sewing class I'm taking because I just didn't now what I wanted to make my third assignment -  a reusable shopping bag - out of. 

Luckily, inspiration struck in the form of a friend who wanted to get rid of a bunch of fabric, including this ticking.

What is is about ticking? - I just love the way it looks, it's practical yet beautiful stripe.

Anyhoo, so here's the bag, and I'm quite pleased with it.
Actually, it's my first "three dimensional" project - everything else has been flat - curtains, the table runner, etc. So I am really excited about it. I may have done a happy dance.
I learned how to reinforce the straps by sewing an "X" on the seam, and I decided to leave the selvage edge on the top becuase I like the little detail.
So now I have a handy bag for going to the beach this summer - just in time!
...Now if only the weather would cooperate. Hmph.
I was a bit of a boob and instead of sewing the "good" sides together, wound up sewing one backwards, but I decided to leave it and what turned out as a mistake just makes it a bit more visually interesting. At least I think so. I'm not just being lazy. Really. 
Oh, also? I made these doughnuts. If you haven't discovered 101 Cookbooks yet, go. Now. I love how Heidi is all about healthy, whole food, but every once in a while sneaks in a recipe like this. Makes me feel more human. But I mean, hey - they are baked, after all.
And beautiful.
And covered with cinnamon and sugar.
How could you go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment