Monday, February 27, 2012

January, check.


So back in December (I think it might have even just been the day after Christmas), I decided that 2012 would be the year I finally make Christmas gifts for people. And not only that, but I would make one a month all year long so that by December, the only thing I'll have to think about (apart from the world ending, of course) is wrapping them up and enjoying the season with my family.

I felt very proud of myself.

So wouldn't you know it that just making the plans doesn't mean it actually happens. Funny how that works - I actually had to MAKE the gifts. So January went by without anything actually happening.
I finally got my rear in gear this month, locating local beeswax to make my first assignment: lip balm (thanks to Amanda @ Soulemama for inspiring me!)

I only made a dozen tins for now, but I've been giving it a test run this week, and I LOVE it - four ingredients (beeswax, honey, coconut oil, and peppermint essential oil), but it's so luscious and smooth I almost want to snack on it.

Amanda listed the ingredients by tablespoon, which is a little tricky to measure when you have a solid like beeswax, so I converted them to grams since I have a kitchen scale, which worked much better for me. Here are the conversions if you feel so inclined:

Peppermint Lip Balm
110 grams of coconut oil
45 grams beeswax
21 grams honey (preferably raw and local!)
30 drops essential oil
Follow the directions here
enjoy!

Next up: hand soap! Thank you, Pinterest, for giving me this great idea that I might even be able to get done by the end of the month, and hence get back on track for my Christmas gifts! I love that site and have even started a "made!" board for all of the stuff that it's inspired me to create already.

I'm always up for new and interesting gifty projects for the rest of the year - if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment