Monday, February 13, 2012

success!


Well, that was one heck of a weekend.
One whirlwind trip to the mainland, a visit from my Mom, three performances of "Annie Get Your Gun", and a partridge in a pear tree later, and I am beat! In the mere three hours I had on Friday, I was able to get to the Goodwill, the grocery store, the co-op, the fabric store, the florist, Archipeligo, and Hello Hello, before dashing back to the boat and surprising my Mom as she sat in her car. Phew!
What do I have to show for my trouble? A whole heck of a lot!  I found an awesome and perfect (not to mention $6) chair for my nook, some fabric for couch pillows (the red plaid), a flannel crib sheet for Finn (the blue stripe), and a great print (is that paisley?) for a table runner and my second Home Ec assignment - fabric napkins. Can't wait to get started on those once I get these grants out the door!
fabric and sweet chair score

I was also able to pick up a few more pantry ingredients for the Bon Appetit Food Lovers Cleanse that I'm hoping to do at some point in the next few months - it requires a bit more planning to get things like white miso, bok choy, black cod, and soba noodles when you live on an island. It's nice to be able to spread out the purchases, though - there were quite a few items I didn't have, and buying it all at once would definitely have broken the bank.
a sweater!
The final performance of Annie Get Your Gun was yesterday, and I was charged with picking up the presents for our fabulous crew - flowers and chocolate, of course! But not just any chocolate - Black Dinah chocolate! I can't wait to dig into the caramel assortment box I got for our Valentine's Day treat! While I was at Archipeligo, I also got to pick up buttons for the sweater I made last week and sent it off to it's birthday recipient this morning (love you, kt!).


There are few gifts (in my humble opinion) that are better than gift certificates to seriously awesome places, and so it was with one for Hello Hello burning a hole in my pocket since my birthday in December that I found out the the proprietor had thoughtfully created a used book section dedicated to all things down home, do-it-yourself, eco-friendly, and small scale farming - heaven! I got to pick up one book that's been on my wish list, and another that I'd never heard of, but that I can hear calling me from it's place on my bookshelf (just a couple more days til the grants are off and I can spend my "free" time browsing  and dreaming!)

On Saturday morning, I dashed across the street to the French Club's rummage sale and found a sweet cylindrical pillow form (like the ones I'd seen priced for about $20 the day before), and now I have no excuse to not make at least one pillow this week...after the grants, after the grants.
Oh, and I totally scored a copy of "Where the Wild Things Are" this morning for $1.50 at our local second hand bookshop. Finn is going to love it - I can't wait!

In the meantime, I'm going to find the time to work some  more on another version of the sweater that might actually fit me, make some lip balm, do my homework, and chicken-sit for a friend (if I can't have my own yet, at least I can hang out with them!). Ah, it's good to have my life back!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog, but I have no idea how you get so much done! Much Love to you all, glad to hear you are enjoying island life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey sarah! are you still in england? i didn't know you are doing heather's workshop ... i am too!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Karen! No, we moved back to the States over a year ago and are living on our little island in Maine :) Awesome that you're taking Heather's class!! Have you tried the Raspberry Oat bars yet? To die for!!

      Delete